Gain control of Your Energy Usage
Energy experts recommend the following tips to quickly and most effectively help you conserve energy, trim costs and gain control of the energy usage:
- Install occupancy sensors on lights in conference rooms and break rooms to save 45-60% on lighting costs in those rooms.
- Save $30 or more in electricity with each replacement of a traditional incandescent light bulb for a Compact Fluorescent Lamp (CFL). CFLs use 75% less energy and last up to 10 times longer.
- Replace incandescent bulbs in exit signs with light-emitting diodes (LEDs) and save about 90% on signage operating cost. If LEDs are not compatible with your current sign, a new sign is inexpensive and could pay for itself within a year.
- Save up to 30% by using smart power strips to regulate energy use on equipment such as computers, copiers and printers.
- Enable the sleep mode on office computers to achieve savings up to $20 per year for each computer.
- Use up to 30% less energy when you switch to a fluorescent lighting system that operates with energy-efficient electronic ballasts rather than magnetic ones.
- Save about 20% in lighting energy use by installing bi-level switching to control lighting.
- Cut lighting energy use by as much as 70% using timers or setting up a scheduling system to control lights on a predictable schedule.
- Replace printers, refrigerators and other office equipment with products that have the ENERGY STAR® label.
Source: U.S. Small Business Administration www.sba.gov