NextEra Energy named No. 1 in its industry on Fortune's 2016 list of ‘World's Most Admired Companies’
Global renewable energy leader also tops its peer group for innovation, people management, social responsibility, quality of products and services, global competitiveness and use of corporate assets
JUNO BEACH, Fla. − NextEra Energy, Inc. (NYSE: NEE) today announced it has been named No. 1 in the electric and gas utilities industry on Fortune’s 2016 list of the “World’s Most Admired Companies.”
“It’s an honor to once again be recognized as one of the world’s premier companies,” said Jim Robo, chairman and chief executive officer of NextEra Energy. “Delivering for our customers is what we’re all about, and it’s our terrific team that makes it all happen. At our utility, Florida Power & Light Company, we‘re providing affordable, reliable and clean energy to help power Florida’s economy, while at our wholesale subsidiary, NextEra Energy Resources, we’re proudly generating more renewable energy from the wind and sun than any other company in the world.”
In determining the industry rankings, thousands of senior executives, outside directors and industry analysts are independently surveyed and companies are rated on nine attributes: innovation, people management, use of corporate assets, social responsibility, quality of management, financial soundness, long-term investment, quality of products/services and global competitiveness.
Recent performance highlights include:
- Largest generator of power from the wind and sun - NextEra Energy is the largest generator in the world of renewable energy from the wind and sun.
- Outstanding customer value - More than 4.8 million homes and businesses in Florida benefit from Florida Power & Light Company’s award-winning service, which is ranked among the cleanest and most reliable in the nation with a price that’s among the lowest.
- Low emissions rates - The output from NextEra Energy’s fleet of power plants in 2015 resulted in emissions rates of sulfur dioxide, nitrogen oxide and carbon dioxide that were 97 percent, 79 percent and 52 percent lower, respectively, than the U.S. electric industry’s average.
- Engaged with our communities - NextEra Energy employees have volunteered thousands of hours annually in service to their communities, served on the boards of directors of dozens of charitable organizations, donated millions of dollars to support nonprofitorganizations and equipped teachers to help our young people learn science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) in our schools.
- Outstanding value for shareholders - For the 10 years ended Dec. 31, 2015, NextEra Energy’s total shareholder return was approximately 250 percent, compared to 104 percent for the S&P 500 Utilities Index and 102 percent for the S&P 500 Index.
NextEra Energy, whose principal subsidiaries are FPL and NextEra Energy Resources, LLC, also ranked first among electric and gas utilities for innovation, people management, use of corporate assets, social responsibility, quality of products/services and global competitiveness.
Complete results for the 2016 Fortune “World’s Most Admired Companies” rankings can be found at: http://fortune.com/worlds-most-admired-companies/.
NextEra Energy, Inc.
NextEra Energy, Inc. (NYSE: NEE) is a leading clean energy company with consolidated revenues of approximately $17.5 billion, approximately 46,400 megawatts of generating capacity, which includes megawatts associated with noncontrolling interests related to NextEra Energy Partners, LP (NYSE: NEP), and approximately 14,300 employees in 27 states and Canada as of year-end 2015. Headquartered in Juno Beach, Fla., NextEra Energy’s principal subsidiaries are Florida Power & Light Company, which serves more than 4.8 million customer accounts in Florida and is one of the largest rate-regulated electric utilities in the United States, and NextEra Energy Resources, LLC, which, together with its affiliated entities, is the world’s largest generator of renewable energy from the wind and sun. Through its subsidiaries, NextEra Energy generates clean, emissions-free electricity from eight commercial nuclear power units in Florida, New Hampshire, Iowa and Wisconsin. NextEra Energy has been recognized often by third parties for its efforts in sustainability, corporate responsibility, ethics and compliance, and diversity, and has been ranked No. 1 in the electric and gas utilities industry in Fortune’s 2016 list of “World's Most Admired Companies.” For more information about NextEra Energy companies, visit these websites: www.NextEraEnergy.com, www.FPL.com, www.NextEraEnergyResources.com.